Adventures in England… Day 1 & 2

I have wifi for at least right now, so I will catch you guys up on what I’ve been doing.

On June 27th, my family minus my dad and brother who had to stay home so they could still go to work, left RDU and headed to Heathrow airport in London.



We left RDU at 6:00pm and got to London at 6:30am (England time). The flight was 7 1/2 hours and wasn’t bad at all. As soon as we took off, we were served snacks which consisted of a drink of our choice and pretzels.


An hour later, we were served dinner. There was a choice of a meat option or a vegetarian option, so I chose the vegetarian option which was veggies on top of cheese noodles and it came with sides. I heard that food on planes can be not very appetizing, but I actually loved my dinner.


During the flight, we watched the movie “Daddy’s Home” and “The Intern” which I was super excited about because I love both of those movies and it made the time pass quicker. In between movies they also played “The Late Night Show with Jimmy Fallon” which is also great. By this time 4:00am was approaching, so I tried to get some sleep. I think I may have slept for a total of 15 minutes before breakfast was being served and we were flying over Ireland while the sun was coming up.


Once breakfast was finished, the time flew by. At 6:00am we touched down at Heathrow airport. We had finally made it to England!



Since it was already morning when we landed, there was no time to sleep. It was time to get a lot of caffeine and begin touring. From Heathrow, we went to Kings Cross Train Station. And of course, you have to get a photo of Platform 9 3/4 from Harry Potter 🙂


We went touring around Kings Cross and then went to the British Library and the British Museum which you weren’t allowed to take any photos in. After seeing both of these places, we picked up lunch. Egg salad sandwiches are a huge deal here, so they’re easy to grab and super yummy. We never want to stop to eat lunch when we could be touring around, so for lunches so far, we’ve just had egg salad sandwiches or other types of sandwiches and we save the fancy restaurants for dinners. Once we were done eating, we took the tube (the subway) all around London. We were literally hopping from one tube to the next all day. We finally stopped at a hotel in London across from the British Library to relax for a little bit before heading off to dinner.


Annabel (my brother’s girlfriend), and her family had reservations for us to meet them at a restaurant called Wildwood in Canary Wharf for dinner (too bad Nathan couldn’t be on this trip with us). We had a great time catching up with Annabel and meeting the rest of her family. And their pizza was delicious!


Once we finished dinner, we headed to Annabel and her family’s house to stay for two nights 🙂

After getting a lot of sleep, we woke up the next day and headed to a train station that took us to the Liverpool Street Train Station. (This is a photo of the front of the station)


Then we went to the Tower of London. (Christopher and me in front of part of the tower)


Once we bought our tickets for a tour of the tower and we had time to kill, we grabbed lunch. I just grabbed a sub while the rest of the family either had a hot dog, battered sausage, or a chicken sandwich. The hot dogs were more like a vienna sausage and they were huge, so I had to take a picture.


After lunch we began the tour of the Tower of London 🙂


One of the Beefeaters who gave us history lessons at the Tower of London.




We stopped at the modern side of London and the Tower Bridge before leaving that area.



Next, we went to hop on a bus for an open bus tour around London.

The London Eye


Big Ben (which is actually only what the bell is called, but it is known as Big Ben)





Piccadilly Circus area



Cute pub we passed


After the bus tour around London, we went to eat dinner at the Rainforest Cafe. The Rasta Pasta was the best pasta.


Once dinner was finished, we walked around more of London went to Westminster Abby.


And of course I had to get a phone booth photo.


We finished walking around London close to 9:00pm, so we took the Liverpool Street Station train back to where Annabel’s house is. Once we arrived at their house, we visited with her family and had a real English tea experience with biscuits (which are cookies in America).


I hope you have enjoyed our trip so far! It’s already almost 3:00am here (England is 5 hours ahead of America), so I’m going to get some rest while listening to the rain coming down 🙂

Also, if you would like to see more photos you can follow me on instagram @katebrichards

Until next time,